Society of Missionary Children’s “Family Album” and the World Meeting of Families!
Next August the World Meeting of Families takes place in Dublin. With this in mind, the Society of Missionary Children (the Pope’s official children’s charity for overseas mission) with the support of the World Meeting of Families is creating a “Family Album” to bring to the World Meeting of Families! This will be a digital collection of drawings, or other artwork from children, adolescents, and their families, providing everyone with the opportunity to illustrate what family means to them. We would invite you to participate as creatively as possible in the Society’s “Family Album.” Pope Francis says that through beauty, artists make the world better! He also says that living together is an art, a patient, beautiful, fascinating journey so, what better way for families to express the art of living together as family than through art!
How does this work?
- The basic task is to encourage homes, parishes, and schools to participate as creatively as possible in the Society of Missionary Children’s “Family Album,” an art exhibition giving them the opportunity to illustrate what family means to them.
- A parish or school committee could be appointed to organise an exhibition of all the wonderful and creative submissions from the children and adolescents.
- Promotion leaflets about the “Family Album” and exhibition could be included parish newsletters and bulletins etc.
- One of the most interesting things about art is its diversity so there doesn’t need to be any limits on style or materials. Artists can use any type of paper, white, coloured, rough or smooth. Their work may be drawn or painted, in pencil, charcoal, pen and ink, crayon, pastel, watercolour, gouache, acrylics, oils, poster colour and collage. The sky’s the limit! However, the size of artwork should not be smaller than A4 (29.7cm x 21.0cm) or larger than A2 (59.4cm x 42.0cm) otherwise exhibition space becomes problematic! It is best that all pieces are submitted in flat format only, not rolled, folded or framed and that the artist puts their name and age on the reverse side of their work.
- The Society of Missionary Children would then seek the assistance of parishes and schools to scan or photograph all the submissions from the artists and forward them to the Society (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) for display during the World Meeting of Families in Dublin between 21st and 26th August 2018 as a digital art gallery!
- The Society of Missionary Children will be seeking submissions to the “Family Album” from 1st October 2017 until 31st July 2018.
Further information is also available from www.worldmeeting2018.ie